Tuesday, November 28, 2006

I saw Christ tonight.

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.''" - Jesus Christ, in Matthew 25
 
I saw Christ tonight.
 
I really, really needed to, too. It's been a while since I saw him like I did tonight. It was really good to see him.
 
I started when I went running.
 
I picked up my copy of "Practicing the Presence of God" by Brother Lawrence on the way out, flipped it open (knowing that every sentence of that ancient little book is packed with inspiring truth), and said, "Father, give me a thought to meditate on from your boy Lawrence while I run."
 
I read this from his Fourth Letter: "Gradually train yourself to show your love for Him by asking for His grace. Don't restrict your love of Him with rules and special devotions. Go out in faith, with love and humility."
 
The first sentence stayed in my mind. I decided to contemplate and practice that while I ran. I found myself running up to the local hospital. A sweet lady that I worship with here in Amarillo had called and told my wife that her husband was there because of a stroke or something.
 
It was a weird route. No running trails. Crossed an Interstate highway. Ran across feeder roads, under underpasses and stuff. It was cool. And as I went, I kept simply asking God for His grace, whenever I remembered to, feeling quite a sense of "That is a good, simple, "enough" kind of prayer!" while I did.
 
I went into the hospital looking pretty scummy, not knowing if I could even find out what room my buddy Robert was in it being so late. I also wondered if anyone would believe me if I told them that I was his preacher (not that that would be an unusual situation for me :-)). The hospital was abandoned, seemed like, but I picked up a phone and they told where he was on the 6th floor.
 
I went in, Robert was awake (thankfully), and I caught him just as he was making a funny comment, out loud, to himself, about what he just saw some idiot do on TV. With smiles and warm mutual greetings, I pulled up a chair, and we sat together.
 
We talked of several things...what landed him here in the hospital this time, how he missed being at church services yesterday morning, the learning he was doing from a wonderful woman named Georgia (I think) who serves as a Chaplain for the hospital (so does Robert), a little bit about Robert's growing up in the family he grew up in and the effect it has had on him to this day, some confession...among other things. It was awesome being with him there.
 
And it was during this that it happened.
 
I don't remember at what point, but while I was listening to Robert talk, I woke up to what (or who) I was talking to. I was talking to Christ. In a flash, I suddenly realized that I was speaking to Christ. It was indescribable. I don't know if Robert noticed the eye-opening in me, but I engaged a little more deeply, sat up in my chair a little more attentively, listened a little more intently...and sure enough...it was Christ. Right there in that hospital bed. The story Jesus told in Matthew 25 (written above) started ringing in my head (okay, so I was doing a combination of "looking after the sick" and "visiting a prison" by "visiting the sick"...but I think it still counted). I was caring for Christ tonight. There he was.
 
Now, I see Christ all over Robert and Evelyn. Always have. Their humility, their faith, their loving marriage, their care for Evelyn's cool special needs brother Claude (talk about seeing Christ, by the way!), their hope...I've always "seen Christ" in them since I moved to this place. Robert and Evelyn were one of the first couples to take me and Carrie out to dinner to welcome "the new preacher" to town 2 1/2 years ago at the Golden Corral (and they really splurged and sacrificed to do it). They have always exuded Christ.
 
But how do I explain that tonight was different? I was sitting with Jesus Christ! I had the honor and privilege of running up to the hospital and visit with and listen to and care for Christ. It was surreal, really, I won't describe it well here...it just felt like heaven opened up and dished out something beautiful and royal for me tonight...the best word for it might be, well...grace.
 
So I then prayed for Robert (as if I was praying for a sick Christ). Then I told Robert as I was leaving that I love him so much (as if I was telling Jesus Christ). Then I told him that I see Jesus in him, knowing that he wasn't going to grasp the scope of my experience tonight.
 
Then the Father pulled out all the stops, though I wouldn't realize it at first. Upon my saying that I saw Christ in him, Robert looked over at me, shook his head with gratitude and with such sincerity said the greatest words that any human being could ever gift me with...words that contain the entire desire and dream of my life. He said, "I see Christ in you, Brian."  
 
I blew it off, of course. I was outwardly grateful and appropriately humble, but inwardly unaccepting of such a lofty comment. Until I was running home.
 
As I was going under the Interstate on Coulter, it was dark and after 10:00, I decided to climb up the cement slope that led up to the bottom of the freeway. I found that there is a perfect spot up there to sit or lie down, like I've seen countless homeless dudes do down in Houston's inner-city (I'm a freak, I know, but I wanted to try it out). While there, with dozens of cars passing just yards away, oblivious to my presence, and hundreds more cruising over me...I reflected...and it hit me.
 
I heard the words, "He wasn't talking to you, Brian."
 
Robert wasn't speaking praise to Brian. The words of gratitude and love and appreciation, the confession and story-telling he was doing, all of it...he wasn't talking to me! Dude, I've known this, read this, acknowledged this, even taught this a million times before...but it was like it was brand new, or at a brand new level. It's like God chose this day for me to realize a little bit more that Christ is in the Father, and I am in Christ, and that CHRIST IS IN ME. Robert was talking to Christ! I was seeing Jesus again...in me! And to cement the experience, God reminded me of some more words of my Master, when he said to some other disciples of his...   

"On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you." - Jesus Christ, in John 14
I'm just going to enjoy this for a minute, because I know I will be distracted from this truth any moment and forget it's riches most of the rest of my life, needing to taught all over again, for there is much in the world that is set against a man remembering it, so bear with me: Christ is in me. Christ is in me. Christ is in me.
 
Dude, if it is true, and it is, then the Father has issued forth...grace.
 
I'm praying that prayer a little more often, doggone it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brian,
I am tearful at reading this experience. The kingdom breaking through in an theophany. Thanks for sharing it.

Lara said...

Brian,

Thanks for sharing this experience. I am so grateful for the few times I've had when Jesus seemed so "real" to me. I can tell this was one of those times for you.

I had backed up to read this to see where you were mentally before I read your "Secret" post that was sent to me. Now I can't wait to dig into that one too.

I can tell it's cathartic for you to journal like this, and we benefit as well. Keep up your journey for a deeper understanding of Jesus Christ. The way you follow and seek is inspiring to me.

(Though it's still hard to see you all grown up and not letting dogs lap milk out of your mouth on the stage in the Benson!)

Anonymous said...

Wow!

Thanks for this.

I love it when God does this . . . opens our eyes and turns the lightbulb on.

Thanks. I will meditate on these thoughts today.

Bobby said...

Your thee best