Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Counting Down to our Ascent Up

My 8-year-old son Shade and I will be leaving this Sunday with our buddies Keith and Zach for Durango, CO to spend the night in a bed for the last time Sunday night before boarding the Durango-Silverton Train only to be dropped off at a wilderness trailhead where we will backpack 6-7 miles into the beautiful Chicago Basin, a valley full of waterfalls and surrounded by 14,000 ft. mountains.
 
There are at least two reasons that God has made crystal clear for why Shade and I are going on this trip.
 
1. For me to pick something up that my heart loves that I let go of long ago (mountainclimbing).
2. For Shade to have an experience that is difficult and requires "strength" to push through.
 
It promises to be an incredible trip for all four of us. Full of beauty, fun, life, challenge, and adventure on all fronts. Thank you for praying for our safety and growth, which even though they don't often come together, we are eager for both.
 
And thank you to everyone who bid on, bought, or passed the word about my book-selling, fund-raising effort for this trip. Shade and I went shopping for our gear yesterday and are almost finished. I have put four more cool books up for auction towards this end...
 
This one is a very cool, old Bible published in the USA within a generation of our country's birth!
 
This one will interest Church of Christ/Restoration history buffs, a collection of 12 sermons from NB Hardeman (yes, the founder of Freed-Hardeman college)...
 
This one is cool, too. A century by century, concise history of the church since the 1st century...
 
And finally, another sweet, old, leather Bible...
 
I love you all and will report back when we return with some pictures!

1 comment:

Shelle H. said...

Hey Brian, I am playing catch up on blogs and saw this one and then all the other ones about your backpacking trip with your son. I am so missing the mountains myself. Last time I went was with you and your youth group in Houston. I hope to make it back sometime soon. Glad you enjoyed your trip with your son!