Wednesday, June 27, 2007

That's Just the Way I Am

"You have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator." - Paul, to the Colossians
 
"That's just they way I am." - Humanity
 
"Followers of Christ are constantly transforming right before your very eyes. That's just the way we are." - Yours Truly
 
The most fantastic people I know are the ones who have forsaken all, and continue to forsake all at ever-increasing depths, to become more like Jesus Christ.
 
Regardless of their starting point (family of origin issues, bodily physical conditions, habit inclinations, genetic programmings, tragic events, epic mistakes, race, nationality, sex, religious upbringing), all the most incredible people have decided to be annihilated by the love of God and consider it all loss for the sake of the singular vision of becoming more like Christ in heart.
 
Regardless of their gift sets (academic aptitude, physical prowess, contemplative inclinations, social dexterity, athletic competence), all of the most amazing people are glad to leave them undeveloped or obliterated for the greater life of moving ever closer to the patterns of thinking and doing exhibited and embodied by Jesus Christ.
 
Regardless of their personality traits (talkative or quiet, thinking or feeling, confrontive or submissive, ENFP or ISTJ, Beaver or Otter, love-to-read or hate-to-read, risky or cautious, detail-oriented or big-picture,Type A or B, High D, I, S, or C), they are glad to have their peculiarities, uniqueness and distinctiveness obliterated for their desire above all things to lose themselves in the life of Christlikeness.
 
It is a wise man who gives up the things that make him foolish in the eyes of man for the greater qualities of Christ and all the peace and joy found in them.
 
Wiser still is the man who gives up the things that make him look special and set apart from other men, in which he is so helplessly inclined to find both his value and excuses, for the greater and universally accessible image of our Creator.
 
"For Christ-followers, there is no excusing or explaining yourself with the phrase, 'that's just the way I am'. There is only one 'I Am', and we are to all being restored into Him." - My version of a Don Stone quote that my friend Debra Schardein thinks she remembers him saying

1 comment:

Flyawaynet said...

You happen to be one of the bloggers I'd be especially in reading their answers, so... when slw recently tagged me for a meme on "5 things I really dig about Jesus" - I tagged you. I hope you have time to write it because I'd really enjoy seeing it!

5 things I really dig about Jesus

- Jeanette