Thursday, May 24, 2007

A Few Special Days

Me: "Hey, son. Did you know that you have 3 more days of school and then it's summer?"
Shade: "Yes. And the 3 days are special days, too."
- A conversation between me and my oldest son, when I wanted to fuel his excitement about school ending
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two."
- St. Paul, when faced with the excitement of his life ending
It caught me off guard.
I assumed that Shade would be totally focused on his last day of school, and the freedom represented by leaving Belmar Elementary's doors one final time (at least for 3 months).
But instead, he quickly acknowledged that while he is looking forward to it, he is a little bit more focused - and a little bit more excited - about the special days he has between know and then.
What wisdom. My children are my greatest teachers.
See, Shade just new that exciting things were coming in each of his remaining days at school. He had a field trip to the Zoo planned for Monday, a special lunch out at "the new McDonalds" with his favorite teacher Mrs. Borger on Tuesday, and a special assembly and Awards Ceremony (which is another story) today. While Shade loves to speak of the coming freedom from school, known to him best through the word "summer", he had more impending excitements to consider. And they came first. "Special days," he called them, that resided between now and then.
I couldn't help but hear echoes of the Apostle Paul in the book of Philippians. He longed to experience what my friend Brad has recently called "The Ultimate Healing", known to Christians best through the word "death". He longed for the flesh suit to be discarded, the assaulting war-zone that he exists in to be escaped, and for his eternal reward of perfected union with God, known best to him through the word "salvation", to be ultimately experienced.
But he was torn.
He had "special days" between now and then that he didn't want to miss. "Fruitful labor" that brings such sweet satisfaction to his heart. He had "joy" to deliver to others that could only be delivered to them by him remaining in the flesh (i.e.: not dying yet). Which would he choose if he had the choice? He did not know.
I felt like that sometimes in school, growing up. I always longed for the freedom of summer, but I also wanted to enjoy the "special days" that could only be had by being in the school year. Looking back, it was when I focused on the negative aspects of school (homework, research papers, getting up early, Mrs. Morris' incompetence, Mr. Byrd's militant ways, social struggles) that I would just do nothing but wish for the escape of summer.
But it was when I was focused on the specialness of school (meeting new people, building friendships, soccer games, soccer practice, teammates, getting in shape, drama class, computer lab, being invested in by conscientious teachers, belonging, school spirit) that I would acknowledge the attractiveness and hope that is available to me through the promise of summer, but would soak up everything there was for me in the "special days" between now and then.
I believe this is available to all human beings. The glory and hope of ultimate union with Christ that will come with the follower of Christ's life, but the equally enjoyable and glorious nature of all the "special days" in between this day and that.
Which would you choose? Which do you choose?
Which would I choose? I do not know. I can't wait for the intimacy that I am constantly learning to enjoy in ever-increasing measure to culminate in whatever exciting ways that it will upon my death. But, doggone it, I'm busy enjoying the ever-increasing nature of it, too. And I'm enjoying watching it happen in my wife, and my 3 precious kids, and in the co-workers and Shepherd's I get to work with, and in the other people who God brings into my life! I'm enjoying the idealism, intimacy, and depth that allowing God to forge me into Christ's image brings! I want the struggle of learning how to deliver that to my children better and better, how to let God deliver it to me through my wife and friends. I love this life.
For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. Which would I choose?
I'm so glad it's not on us. I am glad I can just enjoy the few "special days" in school with all my heart, living in the present moment, and wringing life out of it...knowing full well that when those are done, "summer" will hit with all it's freedom, life and glory.
Shade loved his trip to the zoo. He had a blast with his special teacher Mrs. Borger. I attended his Awards Ceremony this morning, and he was elated. And I bet his diving into the "joys of school" will not steal one bit of his excitement when he bursts out the doors of Belmar exclaiming, "Summer is here!"
May we all live such rich lives. Abundant lives. Hope-filled lives. Lives of Christ.

No comments: