Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Where are they?

"I have found David son of Jesse a man after my own heart; he will do everything I want him to do." God
 
 
Where are these people?
 
Who has God found among us who is after His own heart?
 
Who can He boast about, someone who will do everything He wants him to do...
    ...regardless of the cost and consequences?
    ...without taking a knee to the obstacles?
    ...resolved, finally and steadfastly?
 
Where are the BELIEVERS?
 
I don't know who God was talking to when He said these words about David. But I think He was bragging. Oh, sure, I think He was being factual and accurate. I think He was being practical, too...giving power and influence and rule to a man who's motives and intent line up with His own for His people. But I think he was primarily bragging. You know how God is about His own glory (He is the only being existing that can be self-promoting and it be a gift to everyone). He was showing off His own greatness through the trust, priorities, heart, and love of David as seen through his dog-gone, sold-out, signed-on commitment to followership of this God Yahweh.
 
Can God find David's heart, one that is like His own heart, in a man today?
 
Please, Lord, grant me the grace that it be me. Grant me the grace that it be my wife. My children. My church family. Please, Lord, forge me and mine into quality that You would be able to point at our hearts and brag to all the authorities and hosts of all of your creation. Bring Your Kingdom in all it's authority to bear over your church on all the earth, and instill in us the heart of David, Your own heart, a heart that will show off your glory and light throughout the cosmos.
 
It is not that this heart is unavailable to me, or you. It's that we don't believe it's attainable. Well that's the problem, folks. The only one really. We don't believe. And that's the work, too. To believe. That's it.
 
"The work of God is this: to believe in Jesus." - Jesus
 
Let's admit it. Most of us know what we need to do, have the time to do it, understand that the real answer to "how" is "yes", have the Resources to pull it off, know that more abundant life is the result...yet, we don't pull the trigger. We don't count the cost. We don't keep our eyes open. We don't accept responsibility. We don't surrender to God's power. We just don't BELIEVE.
 
I love you, Father. Make me like the Son of David. Make me like Christ. I believe...forgive my unbelief.
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think that you desire this and that you did the right thing to ask God for this. i believe the changes are going to be made in you. .........Hebrews 12:1.....
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

Keith Brenton said...

Can I be a man after God's own heart, and still be the kind of major screw-up that David sometimes was?