Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Message of Paradox

"The Bible's riches and comforts can not be exhausted from a single viewing platform. A quick trip to the moon would render an understanding of the planet earth that walking upon it's crust does not offer, as would another trip to the bottom of the ocean. Without this understanding, the Bible is an impossible document to understand, follow, or offer up as useful to anyone in the pursuit of the abundant life. Additionally, the understanding that it has your introduction to Jesus Christ as it's primary purpose and reason is essential for it to produce any life that is lasting in you at all." - Yours Truly
 
And it is the paradox I find in Scripture that makes this so unspeakably clear, and sets me so unconditionally free. Paradox, such as:
 
I am obligated to carry your burden (Gal 6:2) and to teach you to take care of your own burdens (Gal 6:5).
I am to not grow weary in doing good (Gal 6:9) and understand that none are good (Rom 3:12).
I am to know that all sin and fall short (Rom 3:23) and that all are to be perfect (Matt 5:48).
I am told that Jesus was without sin (Heb 4:25) and that he learned obedience and was made perfect (Heb 5:8).
I am told that the Law was good for us (Rom 7:12) and that the Law was against us (Col 2:14).
I know that all sin is forgivable (Matt 12:31) and that there is unforgivable sin (Matt 12:31).
I know that all things are attributable to God (1 Tim 6:15) and that not all things are attributable to God (James 1:13).
I know God can do what I want (Mark 14:36) and that it is not about God doing what I want (Mark 14:36).
Lying is absolutely wrong (Col 3:9) and lying can be used in faith (Heb 11:31).
 
All of these statements, a small sampling of paradox in Scripture, are true. They must be seen from different vantage points to be understood. This is hard a hard teaching for the young and for those who grow old finding security only in the black-and-white.
 
But for the mature, it unlocks layer upon layer of truer truth and spiritual guidance in Scripture, and holds the promise for never-ending exploration and discovery right there between the covers of the Good Book.
 
And so goes my relationship with Jesus Christ.
 
 
 

4 comments:

Jim Martin said...

Brian,

A very nice post. Your post and the paradoxes you mention are a reminder to me of the importance of seeing Scripture as a part of a story. It is in the middle of such a story that these paradoxes exist.

Thanks.

Keith Brenton said...

... and I think it's with the blessing of dialogue and fellowship and study together that the truths behind the paradoxes become even more clear:

God is a complex God.

He created a complex world, one with many people, and many points of view.

And when we share them with each other, we learn more about each other - and about the One who made us.

He is not decipherable, scrutable, limitable nor reducible. Yet He is ultimately knowable through His Son.

And for reasons we may not yet be fully prepared to grasp, He loves us and wants us to know Him even better.

I still can't get a handle on that.

Anonymous said...

yes, it is wonderful how God can speak to me in different ways through His word. it really is good to continue to read the word over and over again.

also...i love you, pass it on!

Anonymous said...

Refreshing to read something so honest about this topic.