Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Anticipation

Yesterday, my wife and I helped my son with a very unique project.
I don't know where the teachers got the idea, but they've been studying land forms here recently, and gave their 2nd grade students the task of working with their parents to make a "Land Form Hat". That is, get a hat that you can wear in our end-of-school program and on it, somehow, create your favorite land form and write a paragraph about it.
My wife bought a sombrero of some sort, and then my son proceeded to use some kind of quick-drying-foam-spray (genius invention, I might add!) to shape a mountain with surrounding low-lands, complete with waterfalls, river, and alpine trees. He then painted it brilliantly, topping it off with the summer snow that was melting to fuel the waterfalls.
Here it is and below is what he wrote:

Colorado Land Form

My landform is a mountain. It is called Mount Eulos. We are going there in the middle of summer. I’m going with my dad, Zach, and Keith. There are mountains, valleys, and trees. We are going to a cave that my dad found a chisel in. There are rocks, rivers, lakes, and waterfalls. It is in the Chicago Basin. There is snow and ice at the top of the mountains. It melts fast.


You can't see them in the pic, but there are two tents that Shade insisted we add to the landscape (actually, you can just barely see the top of one white tents comin' around the mountain on the right, above the trees and below the snow). Yep, you guessed it, those two tents belong to he and I, and our buddies Keith and Zach, who are going with us this summer to this very mountain, across that very river, and into those very trees.

I'm wearing the anticipation of our trip right on the top of my heart, even while Shade will quite literally be wearing it right on the top of his head at his program this week.

I'm excited too, buddy!

No comments: