Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The successful minister's life

"I am very clear about something very important right now, in this moment.  When we are aware of the many crises that befall and befuddle us daily and everywhere as human beings, we actually become better human beings - more caring, more compassionate, more focused, more purposeful, and as a result more fulfilled.  When we relax and go oblivious, we become "fat, dumb, and happy," and totally worthless to ourselves and others, and we appreciate nothing.  I think there's a clue here to the answer to the question, "Why look for the death and suffering?", and it is to find and celebrate life as the fragile and unspeakably beautiful gift that it is, that I'm totally aware of today, and we'll see what I notice tomorrow." - Jim Spivey
 
"The people who opposed Jesus weren't content to only attack the practice of his faith, but the people with whom he practiced them. 'Here is a friend of tax collectors and sinners," they said, and 'why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners,' they questioned.  Because,' Jesus replied, 'I haven't come to call the righteous, but sinners.'" - A thought inspired by a book about Lent that my friend Bro. Marcus sent me for my birthday 
 
There are two lives beckoning me as a "minister".
 
One life I will title the "Successful Minister's Life": This life asks me to invest in becoming a better and better public speaker, it invites me to teaching assignments that would require more time in my office with my head buried in books, it wants me to travel far and wide for speaking engagements at very worthwhile events, and it suggests that on top of that, that I would do well to fit in the writing of books. Each of these things have their own corresponding opportunities for the growth of how many I can influence for Christ, financial rewards with which to bless my family and give to the Kingdom's cause, and life-long learning in the doing of good things.
 
 I'm not judging those who live it, nor am I stating that this life doesn't make a God-honest, life-changing impact on people, but I can honestly say that immersing myself into this life would for me be a treacherous act towards Christ, a betrayal of my family and my message, and the death of me.
 
The other life I will title the "successful minister's life" (Sorry, I couldn't come up with anything better than the same name with lower-case letters...but I think this adequately draws a visual picture of how easily the first could overcome my practice of the second): This life asks me to invest in becoming a deeper and deeper lover of those around me, it invites me to people assignments that would require more time out of my office with my heart buried in relationships, it wants me to travel far and wide into the "heart engagements" with the hurts of those living right around me, and it suggests that on top of that, that I would do well to fit all of this in just as soon as I'm faithful in the daily practice of it all with my family. Each of these things have their own corresponding opportunities for the growth of how deeply I can influence someone for Christ, financial faith with which to bless my family and give the to the Kingdom's cause, and life-long learning in the doing of the best things.
 
I'm not saying that I have it perfectly nailed, or that this life doesn't sometimes include some of the practices of the former life, but I can honestly say that immersing myself into this life is for me faithfulness towards Christ, an honoring of my family and my message, and the death of me.
 
The former life, would cost me less and stroke my ego more, two things that I've learned I am inclined towards, but would leave me "fat, dumb, and happy." It would leave me living defensively, managing my life, and caring way too much about whether other people "are changing" or not in order for me to pretend I was successful.
 
The latter life, costs me everything (which turns out to be less), and strokes my passion more (which turns out be a higher trip than my ego has ever provided), two things that I've also learned that I am inclined towards, but this life leaves me "joyful, peaceful, and loving", and hanging out with people the people that Jesus said he has come to call (of which, I am one).
 
I'm not pretending that my choices are as black and white as all this. I actually am investing in becoming a better and better public speaker, and taking teaching assignments that put me in books in my office, and I'm going to LA in two weeks to a speaking engagement, and this blog, of course, is a form of my fitting in the "writing of books". But I choose not to let these things use, castrate, diminish, overwhelm, or distract me from my life and plug me into a pre-defined "ministry matrix" from which I would need to be saved all over again. Instead, I use them, ever-so-cautiously, to deliver the best possible life to and from my heart....the life of Christ.
 
I love you all for your unique and varied contribution to it...you are highly prized and valued.

1 comment:

preacherman said...

Great post.
Thank you for sharing this with us all.
I have been blessed by your blog.
I will be visiting often.
God bless you brother.
In Him,
Kinney Mabry